Thursday, February 1, 2007

Artistic Freedom?

While perusing the New York Times' Arts section yesterday, I was startled to find an article on the tension raised by a piece (pdf) written by American Jewish Committee executive director David A. Harris as the introduction for an AJC publication focused on the role of "Progressive" Jews (their quotes, not mine) in forwarding the "new anti-Semitism" (i.e., criticism of Israeli policy). I have tons to say about the actual content of the AJC's publication and the equating of criticism of Israel with anti-Semitism (the equivalent of saying that criticism of Mugabe's "land reform" in Zimbabwe is tantamount to racism), but a significant issue, in my eyes, is that this was published in the Arts section of the Times. I'm sorry, but I fail to see any connection whatsoever to the arts (the only tenuous thread I can think of is that Tony Kushner is among those called out in the publication as aiding and abetting anti-Semitism). Why wouldn't this be much better suited for the politics section?

Anyhow, I apologize for the non-Estonia-related post, but I guess it's relevant to ethnic democracy, right?

No comments: