Monday, January 29, 2007

Where will Estonia be in ten years? A vacant planet?

I asked my students in what direction Estonia is heading over the next ten years. Once again, all of the responses were amazing, but one was particularly, um, particular:

"Where do I think Estonia will be in 10 years time?
"Well, frankly, I have no idea. I've read that according to the ancient Mayans a new age should begin with the year 2012. I've also read that, according to the UK-based post-black metal band Anaal Natrakh, the apocalyspe should arrive in 2012 (actually they said that some hippie had a vision in the 1960s or 1970s in a Southern American jungle, during which some alien life form [or possibly life forms] contact him and implied that the year 2012 sees the destruction of the world as we know it). Come to think of it, the apocalypse could also qualify as the beginning of a new age, since nothing would remain of the old age...
"Anyway, even if we survive the year 2012 without any kind of cataclysms or 'new ages,' it's still pretty hard for me to predict the future. But I suppose I could try. I think that as the welfare level continues to increase more and more, people will discover that they suddenly need about 14 houses and 15 cars, since the welfare level would arise more so more people could actually afford 14 houses and 15 cars. People would still moan about low birthrate, though there are about 1.3 million human beings inhabiting the place known to us as Estonia, which is frankly too much considering that Estonians' 'ecological footprint' is quite 'oversized' [excuse the lame pun, I know it wasn't funny, but somehow I still had to make it]. Also I think that probably Tallinn will grow too big, and we will pollute 'our' nature with our garbage, but it doesn't matter in the big picture, because then some halfwit would start a nuclear war or we would possibly find another 2017 ways to destroy the world we live in, wipe out human population on earth, and leave behind a vacant planet. Brave New World indeed."

I love Estonia, I really do.

No comments: